Monday, July 6, 2009

The funk is back

The little is not so little anymore.. almost 19 lb and stronger than I seemingly. He wants to walk but can't even sit yet. Wants to play with things that require dexterity but hasn't mastered moving his fingers yet so he's constantly frustrated at something. So we hold him standing, hold him sitting, hand him toys, show him stuff, move him from sling to table to bed to jumper to bouncy chair to bumbo seat with tray with toys because his attention span is 15 mins at best. As a result hubby's neck is all screwed up, my tendonitis hurts horribly especially in the right wrist, my upper and lower back are screwed .. all in all we're doing a lot of business with our chiropractor.

He is awesome however .. so much fun I would love nothing more than to stay home with him, teach him things, play with him, hold him when he cries. But I can't .. so blah!

New things he's doing as of this weekend:
- reaching with both arms towards us if he wants to be picked up
- reaching towards things he wants if they're not within reach
- slowly crawling if we assist by providing something for his feet to push against
- grabbing EVERYTHING in sight .. pens, purses, toys, cloths, dishes, my bottle of olive oil while i'm making a salad

Given that he's not even 5 months yet I'm pretty amazed and impressed with these behaviours. This does mean he requires a LOT of energy from whomever is taking care of him. More often than not this person is hubby and he is exhausted. Today we're getting a walker .. it's not the safest thing in the world but he'll be supervised while playing in it and if it saves our backs and wrists so much the better.

2 comments:

  1. Tsk tsk, you told me not to get a walker and now you're getting one :p Does he have a bouncer? Logan LOVED his Baby Einstein Musical Motion Activity Bouncer (http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstein-Musical-Motion-Activity/dp/B000HZDN9I) - it was the only thing that kept him entertained from ages 4-10 months! (As well as one Baby Einstein DVD - to this day he will only watch TV if it's their Head to Toe DVD http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstein-Vinci-Head-Toe/dp/B00024I2VI). Both of these products really stimulated Logan which is what he was craving during those months (and the bouncer was good exercise not only with the legs but also really helped with Logan's dexterity because he'd want to play with the toys in front, on the side, and in back). I'm sorry he's wearing you guys out. . .I can definitely relate - I think Logan is at his hardest stage right now (at least I'm hoping it won't get worse)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Another pro of the bouncer is there doesn't seem to be a correlation with late-walking like there is with the walker. I had considered getting a walker after visiting Joe's nephew's daughter when Logan was 7 months old because that was the only time he played in one and he enjoyed it. However, after reading that article you gave me the link to I decided not to and that was fine because he was RUNNING along furniture just 1.5 months later and then walking on his own in his 10th month. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but Joe's nephew's daughter didn't start walking regularly until 14 months!

    ReplyDelete