Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Seeking nanny ..

OK .. husband is going crazy with baby G who has the energy of a toddler and a body of a 3 month old who can't even hold his head. He constantly needs holding, talking to, walked about, interacting with, etc. Neither of us can bear the thought of him crying so it's 6-7 hours of keep-baby-entertained-and-happy (with enough time in between for either of us to freak out about getting as much done until he gets up from his nap, usually involving his laundry or washing his bottles). The grand majority of the time the little cutie is just all smiles and happiness .. as long as he's not bored. He likes looking at the butterflies hanging above his crib, loves staring the the wall full of books in his room (probably because of all the colors), talks to the animals hanging on his bouncy chair but does none of these things for more than 15 minutes at a time.

So we're looking for a nanny who can come watch him at our place because there is no way I will put baby G. in a daycare at 3 months of age. Around 1 year or so it's probably a good idea to have him be more social but until then he's a baby, more importantly he's my baby so I want him somewhere I feel comfortable with with someone I can trust, someone who will treat him like I treat him as broke as it might get me. I think we're looking for 2-3 days for about 4 hours at a time. Problem is the only person I would trust with baby G. has a baby of her own with just as much energy requirements so I highly doubt she'll be interested. I have to say I have never met anyone with a more similar attitude towards parenting to mine. Next step is interviewing, and installing web cams all over the house. I know, that may seem paranoid but the voices in my head say it is not .. and they're usually trustworthy.

In other news I'm throwing a surprise work baby shower thing in less than 2 weeks and for some reason signed up to do the cake. Why? Because I like feeding people ... it's one of the things I like best. Desert is really not my thing but that's another story. Bottom line is there will be at least 35 people there. 35 people?! Before 35 people RSVPd in 2 days I had this idea of chocolate cake cut into cute little squares, injected with something yummy and raspberryish and with a hard chocolate glaze. Now I'm just thinking Betty Crocker's Brownies. But that just wouldn't be fun.

4 comments:

  1. you can make your betty crocker brownies your own... with a shot of raspberry filling or some cappuccino.

    have you considered a baby sling? my 3 yr old was super demanding as a baby and the only thing that got me through was a baby sling. we called it my "fourth trimester" of pregnancy. he would remain super quiet watching everything from my height, eventually falling asleep. i was able to cook, pick up groceries, laundry, pick up my other son, etc. it's www.hotslings.com. i always suggest to order a size down. i like the snugness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Moby wrap [http://www.mobywrap.com] but he also dislikes being confined - fights us horribly to get swaddled but can't fall asleep otherwise .. gah! I think when his head is stable we can use a configuration that allows him to sit with his back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the web cams are an excellent idea - I would do the same thing! In fact, I don't know if you read my blog about me wanting to install a camera on Logan when he first started going to his babysitter's, haha - seriously, though I really thought about it for awhile wondering if it was possible before I finally decided it wasn't going to be. But, since your nanny is going to be in your house, you can! Did you get the play gym that you were looking at? This was around the time that we got Logan's and that kept him entertained. . .I wish I could watch him for you, maybe when he gets older and he & Logan are at a similar level that would probably make BOTH of them easier, actually, because then they can play! However by then you will have probably found someone you love & will stick with for years. Is your husband going to go back to work full-time? I also agree that this age is too young for a professional daycare. There's just no way that a daycare person would be able to give Baby G constant attention with 5-10 other babies (which is how many a friend of mine who works at a daycare center in Iowa has). Have fun at the baby shower - I have had the pleasure of tasting a little of your baking so I am sure that whatever you fix will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, you're a little crazy .. but that's ok because sane friends are never any fun.

    ReplyDelete