Monday, August 29, 2011

Oh the week we've had ..

first of all we're not in the Old Country. We're still home because of the hurricane of course. I suppose we could have found another flight sometimes this week but I cancelled the whole trip for now. My father, the hypochondriac, is certain now he will die without seeing us ever again. Just like he's been certain for the past 10 years.. make that 30 I think. He does have some health issues but none that should warrant him guilt tripping us for years especially when he does nothing to alleviate those problems himself. I love the man but he's also crazy (for real) and right now I'm in roosting mode: I need all of my so-called "nuclear" family in one spot - preferably at home - within my reach; I need to be home to clean the house and make sure everyone eats healthy meals and all that domestic crap that some pregnant women feel. I didn't get this with Mr. G. but this time boy! after the earthquake and the hurricane I want to go nowhere! I want to stay home and clean the damned carpets, wash dishes and keep getting my paycheck. No one rock this boat please!

So I feel guilty (cose of dad) but I'm also jubilant (so happy to stay home) and also stressed (big deadline October 30th that may determine whether my contract gets renewed). That last one is a big one because if I don't get renewed I will be one very pregnant lady looking for work and in IT they know bringing someone in is a time investment .. heck it takes you about 2-4 weeks just to spin up on the project and really get going 100%. I'm also somewhat worried that they won't renew my contract here because I will be pregnant. As far as they're concerned why should they keep me if they know I'll be gone in 5 months and maybe not come back? I guess it depends on next year's schedule .. projects coming up, etc. Hopefully they'll keep me because of the maintenance cycle of the project I'm on now.

Either way I'm not saying anything at work about being pregnant although it's so damn obvious. Sooner or later someone will ask and I'll just scream "stop calling me fat!" burst into tears and run out of the office. That's the only plan I have so far.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh I'd rather not say. It's an Eastern European country so that right there should make it easy to figure out. I was raised to be ashamed by my nationality and although I'm proud of the country's history and cultural additions to the world stage I am still deeply affected by being told while growing up what a terrible place it is and how duplicitous its citizens are and blah blah blah... all things which I rationally know not to be true. You can't possibly make such a blanket statement about any large group of individuals. Truth be told I've met more "evil" fuckwads on this side of the Atlantic.

    .. oh man! somehow I've never pondered on how loaded of a topic this is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the least evil fuckwads I've met west of the Alps have been from there, if I don't miss my guess, and they were always filled with sadness about how their own country got screwed by its power elite, and about how people there HAD to scramble - not about how it was in their nature to scramble.

    Italians have been and will again be worse in their societal comportment, without the added cultural capital of speaking something close to the Romantic linguistic original instead of a version simplified for an illiterate populace.

    ReplyDelete