Monday, August 22, 2011

The "oy!s" of first trimester

I'm tired, everything takes 10 times the energy to accomplish (including getting out of the bed) and my breasts are so damn tender if it wasn't for bras I would probably be nude constantly. And Mr. G. has been very toddlery lately: you tell him not to do something then he pauses and with a grin on his face does it again louder/harder/etc. I swatted at him once while driving this weekend and then I felt like an idiot .. but there was milk everywhere in the back seat and he was screaming from the top of his lungs and kicking the seat in front of him while having a jolly good time and I had just about had it. Having a short fuse lately does not help. It was a very stupid reaction and it's teaching him the wrong thing. Although I could say I've learned it from him .. he's been hitting his friends at school for the last year even before I swatted him so there .. does that absolve my mismanagement of child? Probably not.

I really miss tea and multiple espressos a day and red wine .. a good Argentinian Malbec would do really nicely ... oo! or a South African Pinotage. I really do miss tea though and other than raspberry leaf seemingly all the other teas can induce labor or make you spout shoots out of your ass or god knows what else. I've read enough to be scared out of my mind. Meanwhile I know my mom had an occasional drink and even smoked during my pregnancy and I am relatively ok. Nowadays however it seems all you have to do is just touch some green tea or forget your prenatal vitamin with folic acid one day and you've doomed your child. I don't mean to sound too cynical because I will follow all the rules and then some but deep down I really doubt that all the pressure pregnant women have on themselves now is legitimate.

6 comments:

  1. I thought the consensus was you were allowed one drink a day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there is caffeine .. but one cup a day is considered the limit. As far as alcohol "no amount is considered safe".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit. When you can drink again, try the Malbec Riserva from Domaine Jean Bousquet, it's organic and marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After breastfeeding .. so depending on how that goes 6 or so more months after giving birth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to that first glass of Domaine Jean Bousquet Malbec.

    ReplyDelete